Image

Image
Photography

Image

Image
Home

Image

Image
Garden

A Little Punch

Transformations from run down to runway are what make this hobby/side job so much fun.

Painting furniture is a bit cathartic for me – I don’t have to think about anything else and I get to be as creative with colors as I want.

Even though the colors were pre picked this time – I still got to add a little flair.

Lets revisit. A trip down memory lane if you will…

IMG_4752

IMG_4755

IMG_4757

dirty. battered. bruised. rundown

I don’t typically like to work on pieces that need a lot of repair work. The only real problem with this was the missing trim. I decided it was best to remove the trim as a whole rather than worrying about matching it.

After a good cleaning, a small amount of sanding, and minimal repairs it was time to paint.

For this I used Annie Sloan Graphite and Barcelona.

IMG_6648

The Graphite pulls a bit blue in these pictures but really shows more of a smoky grey/black in person. The contrast with the orange is perfect especially with the natural wood showing through in spots.

To add a bit more depth and contrast I dry brushed more Graphite over the drawer detailing. I really think it helps tone the orange down and pull the entire piece together.

IMG_6645

IMG_6647

The knobs are the original hardware just spray painted oil rubbed bronze. No need to replace something that works so well with the swirl details.

IMG_6643

IMG_6650

IMG_6652

And because all good things need a bit of added spice. I gave this side table a little peek-a-boo element.

IMG_6664

IMG_6665

Gotta love a good surprise!

The lining isn't meant to hold up to lots of wear and tear but instead be a sweet little surprise when the drawers are opened on occasion. If this was a more regularly used piece I would have gone with contact paper (printed or clear to cover the zebra) or painting inside the drawers.

And just for giggles lets do one last before and after

2012-08-06

5 comments

  1. I love how it turned out!!! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I wish- is that we lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet. Maybe if we lived closer I could smooch that precious babe of yours :)

      Delete
  3. Jenny is trying steal it from me! I should have known better than to send her over there...

    ReplyDelete