Image

Image
Photography

Image

Image
Home

Image

Image
Garden

Magnet Board

Drawers as shelves – its all the rage. Lets be honest, its cute and a great use of things you already have.
Pinned Image
Pinned Image
Pinned Image
I loved the idea of using something I already had (read: cheap) and putting my personal {creative} spin on it. The craft room needed some color and I needed an inspiration board of sorts.
labeled



I took the top drawer from a dresser and sprayed it a fun deep teal. Seriously, this paint makes my heart sing not to mention Rust-oleum has got to be hands down the best spray paint ever invented. If only they paid me to say that! I love this paint no matter if I was endorsed or not.
IMG_4994
IMG_4999
IMG_4996
An old clothes hamper served as a fantastic booster to spray paint the drawer. Slow, even, light coats on a windy day sure made spraying this drawer a gallant effort.
IMG_5000

I got really lucky and had some leftover sheet metal from the house remodel – but you can find this stuff at any hardware store. After measuring the inside of my drawer I traced out the measurements on the sheet metal.
Next up – cut away
Tin snips: they make cutting sheet metal like slicing butter
IMG_5002
IMG_5004
Cut complete! Now to make sure it fits…
IMG_5005
IMG_5010
I found this fun fabric at Hobby Lobby. My drawer was 30” X 15” and I bought a yard of fabric – I have more than enough leftover which is just how I like it.
IMG_5012
I used a heavy duty glue (EZ6000 – Gorilla Glue – or an Epoxy) and let it set up and dry over night. Since magnets have a good pull to them when removed I wanted to make sure the sheet metal would stay put.
Time to put it to use.

IMG_5049
IMG_5046
IMG_5055
IMG_5053
IMG_5056
IMG_5057
Those books are my favorite favorite favorite. Its so crazy to me how relevant the patterns are especially considering they are fairly old. My grandmother has a ton of these and I can see a personal collection starting soon.
IMG_5060
I was pretty surprised how easy this project was, I think in total I spent 4 hours working on it  and that’s with priming, painting, picking out fabric, and running back to Lowes for tin snips.
So, tell me what you think! Is this a project you see attempting in the near future?

linked to:
Miss Mustard Seed
Whipperberry
My Repurposed Life

10 comments

  1. You seriously never cease to amaze me! Your projects are too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are too sweet! thanks for the compliment

      Delete
  2. How neat! This is totally doable! I love how yours turned out and love love those books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Sarah!! I just started a project using that same color on a cabinet door I found! So great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo, I love! I'm so sleep-deprived and focused on all things baby, I'm completely out of the loop on cool things. And I love your mad re-purposing skills. I would definitely attempt this project ... but not sure it would turn out as cute as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! Those are lies you are telling yourself though, you could do this as cut if not cuter! Just look at that nursery you put together - the proof is in the pudding!

      Delete
  6. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done many drawer repurposes! So much you can do with them. Your magnet board turned out great, love the color and the fabric.
    thanks for sharing at Catch as Catch Can!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! I think I might have to steal this idea for my guest bathroom redo! Great job, and thanks for linking up with the Winter Pinterest Challenge!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete