Image

Image
Photography

Image

Image
Home

Image

Image
Garden

Makeover {Coffee Table}

A few weeks ago I told you about some great thrifting/estate sale finds – one being a lovely coffee table I picked up for $45. Its taken me a few weeks but I have finally gotten around to fixing up at least one of the items I grabbed.
Here is the picture I sent to my mom – she’s good at telling me if I am spending too much money for an item. Considering this table is solid wood and is bigger than most coffee tables I easily got the green light that $45 bucks wasn’t too much.
iphone drop 087
The entire time I was looking for tables I had this image in my head of tables that would be perfect for tufting the top. As most of you know I love a good tuft. Even when I saw this little guy my first thoughts were of tufting. But then I got to thinking – I actually use my coffee table as a … well… dinner table. All my single ladies?? A tufted dinner table would be very inconvenient when I was trying to scarf down my bowl of cereal home cooked meal. So, what to do but call my trusty advisor (mom) and tell her tufting was out and we needed a new plan. I had mentioned covering the top but couldn't settle on a material – I thought maybe wandering the isles of Lowe’s would help – before I had the chance to even venture to Lowe’s my trusty advisor mentioned yard sticks and I was sold.
IMG_4595
For this size table (about 4 feet long and 2 feet wide) I used between 15-20 yardsticks – some old some new but all cut to 12” lengths
Before adhering the yardsticks i painted the base of the table in Annie Sloan Country Grey and the legs/draw front in Annie Sloan Old White. A bit of waxing and sanding later it was go time for the yardsticks.
Original pulls – I tried changing them but kept going back to the original ones. I like that little bit of rustic charm and the worn brass.
IMG_4632
IMG_4593
IMG_4634  
Side note: I had all intentions of tiling my backsplash with subway tiles in a herringbone pattern but difficulty got the better of me and we ended up going traditional with the backsplash pattern. Since then I have been searching for a place to use a herringbone pattern…
Thankfully my dad had a staple gun that uses an air compressor to staple along with the needed air compressor, so adhering the yardsticks was easy peasy.
IMG_4626
I laid out the pattern a bit but really just started in the middle and worked my way out cutting in the appropriate places (with a circular saw) when the yardsticks hit the end of the table ledge.
IMG_4627
Next came Waterlox (same sealer from my kitchen counter tops) and a natural bristle Purdy bush to seal the yardsticks.
Lastly a little Gorilla Glue, extra trim, and more Annie Sloan – ladies and gentlemen we have ourselves a completed coffee table!
IMG_4605

IMG_4630
 IMG_4633
 IMG_4592
 IMG_4597
 IMG_4599

IMG_4604
 IMG_4600   IMG_4625
And just for fun… one last time… BEFORE
iphone drop 087
In all its glory and ruling… AFTER
IMG_4601 
linking with the always fabulous - Miss Mustard Seed

16 comments

  1. Sarah, this is cool. Even my 9 year old daughter is telling me how cool it is. Very, very, creative and unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am so glad you BOTH like it :)

      Delete
  2. I am truly amazed with all of your creativity and ideas. Seriously, I'm calling you when I purchase my first house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet - I'll put your future house at the top of my list!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat project! I LOVE the way you did the pattern on the top..I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should - its not a very difficult project just a bit time consuming trying to figure out a pattern!

      Delete
  5. Um wow. Have you considered doing this kind of stuff for a job???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl - dont you know I wish that was my full time job. Unfortunately, health insurance and 401K matching win out... maybe some day I can hang up the financial analyst had for a designer hat of sorts

      Delete
  6. This is FABULOUS!!!! I would love to do this somewhere....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The teacher in me is squealing with happiness! Looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you through Miss Mustard Seed's linky party:0)

    This is amazing! I love it. Super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool! What a unique piece, I'm sure you will get lots of compliments on this one. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Are you going to float some glass on top of it? How flat is the surface (asks someone super, uber prone to spilling stuff absolutely everywhere, sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the coffee table makeover!!!

    ReplyDelete