Image

Image
Photography

Image

Image
Home

Image

Image
Garden

Gardening : Strawberries

The time has come here in Oklahoma to start putting out some veggies… a fruit! I love growing food – its kind of a weird obsession but I just think its so cool to see FOOD grow!

I decided to add strawberries into my mix this year – last year I started planting in the summer so I had herbs, tomatoes, and cucumbers – since  I am getting an earlier start I get to try different types of veggies and fruit.

Here is the thing about strawberries, they come back year after year and produce better fruit the longer you have them. Therefore, if you put them in the ground then make sure and plant them somewhere you want to keep them. Since I don’t have a garden staked out yet I decided to go with container planting.

Those piddly little strawberry pots run $10-12 and don’t seem very substantial – bet they do work.

Border Concepts Strawberry JarI decided to take a little spin on the standard and make my own – CHEAPER – strawberry container.

IMG_1601

IMG_1604IMG_1605

Three terracotta pots in various sizes – smallest to largest. You can use any size you would like – I only had 6 small plants so I didn’t need anything huge.

IMG_1608

Fill your largest pot with soil – I ended up adding more soil to about the rim.

Make a cozy spot for your medium pot

IMG_1610

You can center your pots within each other – for this planted I made the pots offset for a but more room.

IMG_1606

Fill your medium pot with soil and add the smallest pot on top. Take those strawberry plants and add them in – I did three in the largest pot, two in the medium, and one on top.

IMG_1625

IMG_1613IMG_1615

Don’t forget to water water water!

IMG_1607IMG_1612

Now that my strawberries are in a decent sized container I can bring them in when it gets to hot for them (after they are done producing fruit).

I also added some veggies to the straw bales – broccoli and Brussels sprouts!

IMG_1617

IMG_1620

IMG_1618

IMG_1622IMG_1623

More straw bale gardening updates later!

Anyone else get bit by the planting bug?

No comments